How can we help you?
How to transfer Google Authenticator app codes to another device?
Transferring Google Authenticator application codes to another device is possible if you have access to the device still having the codes or if you saved backup (setup) keys.
Transferring Google Authenticator codes from one device to another:
Transferring Google Authenticator application codes is a simple process that you can do by yourself without logging into the exchange (one device still needs to generate codes). First, prepare both devices and make sure the app is installed also on the second device.
Then, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Authenticator app on the device from which you want to transfer the codes.
- In the top right corner, expand the tab and select "export accounts"
- Select up to 10 accounts which you want to be transferred and click “export”
- A QR code will appear on the screen of your phone, which should be scanned with the application installed on the new device.
If you do not know how to scan the QR code with the new device, follow the instructions below, otherwise you can skip this step.
- Open Google Authenticator app on the device to which you want to transfer the codes.
- Select the “+” button (located in the lower right corner)
- Select "scan QR code"
- The camera view will appear on the screen of your phone, which allows you to scan the QR code on the screen of the device from which you want to transfer the codes.
Transferring codes using a setup (backup) key:
If you have a setup (backup) key used to start generating new security codes, you can recreate them in any Google Authenticator application. Depending on whether you have it as a string of characters or QR barcode, you can add it using the following instructions:
- Open the Google Authenticator app.
- Select the “+” button which is located in the lower right corner,
Depending on the form of the key:
- QR barcode: Select "Scan a QR Code". The camera will be activated on your phone screen, which will allow you to scan the saved QR code.
- Character string: Select "enter a setup key" and paste the key or rewrite it manually.
After entering the correct key, you will gain access to your security codes.
Change of security method in your account settings:
Changing the security method when you have access to a code generating device is a simple process that you can do by yourself at any time.
Prepare both devices and make sure the app is installed on them. Then log in to your account and go to security settings. By moving the slider next to "e-mail" you will change the security from Google Authenticator to e-mail. Then confirm the change in the upper right corner. Now you can re-enable Google Authenticator by following the instructions:
How to use two-factor authentication provided by Google Authenticator?